[CentOS] Mail notification in panel/system tray on CentOS 6

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Fri Jan 25 15:10:19 UTC 2013

On 25/01/2013 15:00, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to add a "new mail" notification icon to the
> panel/system tray under CentOS 6?
> On CentOS 5, I used the "mail-notification" software package provided by
> the Fedora "EPEL" distribution, but this is gone from the version 6
> repository, and the one from version 5 won't install just like that due
> to dependency issues. Maybe it's possible to resolve those, but I'm
> wondering if that's the way to go, or if there is a better alternative
> these days.

In the old days we used biff... then xbiff came along... new fangled things!

Something like: http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py

Don't some MUAs come with small panel applets for this?

It isn't so common to receive email locally anymore, most people are
using remote mail servers.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS