[CentOS] firefox 18

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jan 26 14:19:27 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:32:32PM +0000, James Pearson wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >
> > For example, I don't think you want it to be on the release update
> > channel,... wouldn't that cause the firefox update logic to automatically
> > clobber your build with the next automatic update? which resulting
> > Firefox then won't work--the whole reason why we're doing our own builds.
>
> Good point - I was just copying what was given via about:buildconfig
>
> In my case, this wouldn't matter as we lock the preferences
> "app.update.auto" and "app.update.enabled" to false to prevent automatic
> updates.
>
> However, I don't know what a reasonable setting of
> 'enable-update-channel' should be instead?

No, I don't know either. I left out that setting from my mozconfig,
and when I fire up the new binary and choose "about firefox" it shows
"default" update channel. Dunno what that means. I'll hafta do some
snooping around on mozilla.org, I recall seeing a discussion of that
there (somewhere) in the last year or two.

I seem to recall (vaguely) that there's also a file somewhere in the
firefox data that contains a setting for that that should be changeable.

> > [later...]   Ah, it seems to have completed a build, now.
> >
> > next dumb question: I recall from when I've built it (years) in the
> > past that there's a tool, somewhere, for creating an installable .tgz
> > file, like the one we can download from mozilla. so far I haven't
> > tripped over it in 18.0.1, do you happen to know what that is?
>
> Once 'make -f client.mk' has completed OK, cd to the
> obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu subdirectory and run 'make package' and it will
> create a bzip2'd tar archive in the dist subdirectory

Oh, good, thanks! I've got it installed and so far (about 5 mins) it
seems to be working fine.

thanks for putting up with my ignorance and long list of whines! :)

Fred

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.