[CentOS] Mail notification in panel/system tray on CentOS 6

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:13:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net> wrote:

> On 25/01/2013 15:00, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to add a "new mail" notification icon to the
>> panel/system tray under CentOS 6?
>> On CentOS 5, I used the "mail-notification" software package provided by
>> the Fedora "EPEL" distribution, but this is gone from the version 6
>> repository, and the one from version 5 won't install just like that due
>> to dependency issues. Maybe it's possible to resolve those, but I'm
>> wondering if that's the way to go, or if there is a better alternative
>> these days.
>>

> In the old days we used biff... then xbiff came along... new fangled
> things!
>
> Something like: http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~**cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py<http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py>
>
> Don't some MUAs come with small panel applets for this?

@Toralf:

I have Evolution Mail on my work desktop (not CentOS) set to display
pop-ups (using libnotify).  I don't recall though if I had to do anything
more than click a check box in Evolution's preferences.

You might consider having your MUA do the notifying rather than having an
applet go check your inbox for you.

> It isn't so common to receive email locally anymore, most people are using
> remote mail servers.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS