[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 23:16:37 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 05:46 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 01/28/2013 04:18 AM, John Hinton wrote:
>> On 1/26/2013 4:21 PM, James Freer wrote:

>>> Like debian is improved on with derivative distros, when i said slack
>>> i was referring to a derivative Salix... with package management
>>> Gslapt which is very similar to synaptic. Hate to say it but imo very
>>> much better than yum.
>>>
>>> You've been a nice friendly crowd but centos isn't for me.
>>>
>>> james
>> If I were doing a desktop setup, I would very likely not use CentOS
>> "EL". Remember E stands for Enterprise. What is an enterprise? What
>> expectations does an enterprise have? Our 'enterprise' is web facing
>> servers doing hosting and email mostly. In the hosting world, the users
>> get to put up their content. Most of the time this 'enterprise' solution
>> is great. I don't have to worry about upgrades that break things. I
>> would not know for instance if a PHP upgrade broke a website until the
>> client let us know. This might be the day it happened or it might be
>> months after it occurred. Yes, some folks don't actually look at their
>> website or maybe just one portion of their website for months. For
>> instance, maybe a photo album script. The enterprise life pretty much
>> avoids any of these issues. I can update something like Postfix without
>> worrying about it being a new version with a new config file. The
>> benefits to the 'enterprise' world are huge. Stuff very rarely breaks.
>> If I am developing for CentOS 'EL', I would likely use CentOS as my
>> desktop version. If my goal is watching movies, viewing images, doing
>> graphics work... I think I would at least look at the other distros for
>> something that stays current.
> I use CentOS 6.x for my desktops for these enterprise long life
> stability reasons.
> I do want to see movies, work with image files etc, but I also need it
> to work everyday,
> just like it did the previous day. It is my workstation, it needs to
> do all the basics reliably
> year after year. So for me the upgrade path is use CentOS 5.x until
> 6.1 was released - at that time
> the various repos usually have all the tools I need for a desktop
> workstation.
> I will use 6.x until 7.1 comes out and at that time upgrade my various
> workstations - say every 4 years or so.
> I guess the decision varies around the user either wanting to play
> with the OS and related software
> OR
>  use it to perform work reliably day after day.
>>
>> CentOS is not bleeding edge. I rarely ever suffer a cut. Instead,
>> stability and reliability. If we do something to break email or web
>> services, our phones start ringing within 5 minutes. Those are not happy
>> customers.

Needless to say there ARE other distros better suited for being used as
a desktop environment. CentOS is "usually" used as a server for it's
stability, availability, and its compatibility with most of the repos
that are out there. For desktops...a lot of companies use something with
a little less management needs and something that most users can move
about freely in, withouth having too much of a hard time making things work.

EGO II