[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Bry8 Star bry8star at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 10:16:19 UTC 2013

For PostgreSQL, i've done these (shown below) at initial/test stage:
(pls DO NOT follow/copy it, try to understand pattern and do what
fits for your case/need).

From a VE instance inside HN:

yum has these plugins: fastestmirror, filter-data, keys, list-data,
merge-conf, presto, priorities, security, verify.

# CentOS-Base.repo
[CentOS-base]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
# i do not want below set from centos repo
# as these exacts are released by postgre devs
# but other postgre portions from others i do want
exclude=postgresql.* postgresql-contrib* postgresql-debuginfo*
postgresql-devel* postgresql-docs* postgresql-jdbc.*
postgresql-jdbc-debuginfo* postgresql-libs* postgresql-odbc.i686
postgresql-odbc-debuginfo* postgresql-plperl* postgresql-plpython*
postgresql-pltcl* postgresql-server* postgresql-tcl.i686
postgresql-tcl-debuginfo* postgresql-test*
priority=1

[CentOS-updates]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
exclude=postgresql.* postgresql-contrib* postgresql-debuginfo*
postgresql-devel* postgresql-docs* postgresql-jdbc.*
postgresql-jdbc-debuginfo* postgresql-libs* postgresql-odbc.i686
postgresql-odbc-debuginfo* postgresql-plperl* postgresql-plpython*
postgresql-pltcl* postgresql-server* postgresql-tcl.i686
postgresql-tcl-debuginfo* postgresql-test*
priority=1

[CentOS-extras]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
exclude=postgresql.* postgresql-contrib* postgresql-debuginfo*
postgresql-devel* postgresql-docs* postgresql-jdbc.*
postgresql-jdbc-debuginfo* postgresql-libs* postgresql-odbc.i686
postgresql-odbc-debuginfo* postgresql-plperl* postgresql-plpython*
postgresql-pltcl* postgresql-server* postgresql-tcl.i686
postgresql-tcl-debuginfo* postgresql-test*
priority=1

[CentOSplus]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
exclude=kernel.* kernel-firmware.* kernel-headers.* postgresql.*
postgresql-contrib* postgresql-debuginfo* postgresql-devel*
postgresql-docs* postgresql-jdbc.* postgresql-jdbc-debuginfo*
postgresql-libs* postgresql-odbc.i686 postgresql-odbc-debuginfo*
postgresql-plperl* postgresql-plpython* postgresql-pltcl*
postgresql-server* postgresql-tcl.i686 postgresql-tcl-debuginfo*
postgresql-test*
priority=1

# pgdg92-centos.repo
[pgdg92]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
priority=10

[pgdg92-source]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
priority=10

#scntflnx.repo
[SciLnx-6x-os]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
exclude=redhat-rpm-config.* postgresql.* postgresql-devel*
postgresql-docs* postgresql-contrib* postgresql-jdbc.*
postgresql-libs* postgresql-odbc* postgresql-plperl*
postgresql-plpython* postgresql-pltcl* postgresql-server*
postgresql-test*
priority=13

[SciLnx-6x-updates-fastbugs]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
exclude=postgresql.* postgresql-devel* postgresql-docs*
postgresql-contrib* postgresql-jdbc.* postgresql-libs*
postgresql-odbc* postgresql-plperl* postgresql-plpython*
postgresql-pltcl* postgresql-server* postgresql-test*
priority=13

[SciLnx-6x-updates-security]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
exclude=postgresql.* postgresql-devel* postgresql-docs*
postgresql-contrib* postgresql-jdbc.* postgresql-libs*
postgresql-odbc* postgresql-plperl* postgresql-plpython*
postgresql-pltcl* postgresql-server* postgresql-test*
priority=13

[SciLnx-6x-debuginfo]
#<...snip...>
enabled=0
priority=13

[SciLnx-6x-SRPMS]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
priority=13

[pgdg92]
#<...snip...>
enabled=1
priority=15

... other repo & distro ...

In above way, i get most from PosteGre repo, and other postgre
related side packages from other repos. if i were to place
exclude=postgre* then all packages would have gotten excluded, and
then the extra postgre pkg which are not released by postgre, would
get hidden/excluded as well, though, i could have used this approach
for to get that:

includepkgs=related-extra-postgre-pkg

to get those. but then i would need specific name, but what if new
extra pkg that i dont know yet, is included, but since i have not
specified specifically, those would get hidden/excluded.
(my repo inquiries have shown, many other repo has at-least 1 to 3
or some up to 6 extra postgre related tools which are not released
by postgre devs themselves).

Few patterns/logics which i like to follow:

repo#1, rpm priority 1, srpm priority 50
repo#2, rpm priority 10, srpm priority 40
repo#3, rpm priority 15, srpm priority 30
repo#4, rpm priority 20, srpm priority 20

Priority numbering pattern/logic:
Since i'm using centos as my base,
so various DISTRO & REPO rpm/binary which
are closest to CentOS & CentOS's source RHEL,
those distro & repo will get lowest priority#
close to centos.
i like to think/visualize in this way ...
a LIST from top to down, now number them
from top to bottom 1, 2, 3.. CentOS is at
position 1, the top-most position.
The lowest priority number, is at highest,
upper position in the list, is chosen first
by yum/installer, and has highest priority,
if it(yum) wants to install something.

my knol is this (i could be wrong):
RHEL based source ->
|-> CentOS base.
|-> Scientific Linux.
|-> Oracle Linux.
|-> ClearOS Linux.

(Fedora stable source -> RHEL -> RHEL source).

EPEL has extra small tools/apps/libs for
RHEL base apps/libs, and also for RHEL
based clone/derivative distros (few
mentioned above).
RPMforge/dag has many perl related stuff.
REMI has latest+stable PHP, MySql related stuff.
ELrepo is for hardware latest+stable drivers, kernels.
kdeRedhat is mostly for latest+stable KDE, QT, samba, etc.
RPMFusion has closed-source-free, open-source-free, non-free etc apps.
ATrpms has MythTV, Scientific Apps, etc.
LnxTechNet has audio,video,etc apps.

And Fedora 17, 18 source/src/SRPMS are needed to be re-built on
cnetos for those apps/libs, then those can be used with centos.

Pkg "Excluding" pattern/logic:
(means, Getting specific pkg from
Non-Centos repo):
Now for example if i want something specific
called "pkg-set-3" from repo#3, then i would have
to place those specific pkgs inside the "exclude"
line in repo(s) which are listed at upper position
on the repo-list, so that will be repo#2, repo#1,
so it will be:
# repo_1.repo file inside /etc/yum.repos.d
[repo_1]
exclude=pkg-set-3

# repo_2.repo file inside /etc/yum.repos.d
[repo_2]
exclude=pkg-set-3
# in 'exclude' pkgs are 'space' separated

Where & How to tweak & apply intelligence/knowledge
and experience and tricks , etc for repo-config ?
i like to call it HI (Human Intelligence),
multiple (or one) developer's initial
HI becomes AI in a software.

Each repo file will most likely have
one or more section/channel like below:
[section-or-channel-name]
config_options=values

in repo#2, the "pkg-set-3" can be placed inside
all section/channel of that repo file.

For setting repo#1 (in our case, this is centos),
we will have to do these:

set "enabled=" to 0 in all new repo,
(except centos.repo),
or, by using yum command-line options
instruct "yum" to disable all repo,
then instruct yum to enable only
centos-base,centos-updates, etc repo only
and then do "yum check-update", like this:

yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=base,update,centosplus,extra
check-update

... above command will show if centos repo has new updates (or no
updates) for your system.

then set enabled=1 in those section/channel which you need for the
app/lib (pk-set-3) which you wanted.

then run do "yum check-update".
... It will show list of app/lib which will be updated if you were
to run "yum update" or "yum upgrade".

Also see other helpful yum commands.

Since these yum commands will show app/lib name and which repo has
it, observe carefully and make a hand-written list first (or write
on a text file on the client computer from where you're connecting
to your centos server which you are trying to configure), a list,
apps/libs which you need to exclude from which repo.

Other helpful YUM COMMANDS:

yum list updates '*' --disableplugin=filter-data,priorities
--disableexcludes=all

... should show what updates will be in queue if all "excludes" are
ignored.

yum list all available 'pkg-name*'
--disableplugin=filter-data,priorities --disableexcludes=all

... should show which of your repos has any package that are close
to the name "pkg-name" and will also show their version # and what
repo has it.

Anytime you change any "somename.repo" file,
then its better to do first:
yum check-update
(but do not update, unless you are sure which app is coming from
which exact repo and if that is what you want or not).

Please ADD/POST MORE/YOUR HELPFUL COMMANDS,
and tell us what it does, where useful.

Since source/SRPMS is/are needed when you/i need to make src.rpm, so
distro & repo closest to CentOS gets higher priority, usually that
is in reverse order than the RPM/binaries.

Please correct my mistakes and add your responses, ideas,
suggestions, logics, patterns, etc.

Thanks in advance,

-- Bright Star.

Received from Johnny Hughes,, on 2013-01-28 12:50 AM: