[CentOS] Mail notification in panel/system tray on CentOS 6

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:18:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:

> On 27/01/13 07:13, SilverTip257 wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Giles Coochey<giles at coochey.net>
>  wrote:

> by
> >>>

> >> In the old days we used biff... then xbiff came along... new fangled
> >> things!
> >>
> >> Something like:
> http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~**cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py<
> http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py>
> >>
> >> Don't some MUAs come with small panel applets for this?
> >>

> > @Toralf:
> >
> > I have Evolution Mail on my work desktop (not CentOS) set to display
> > pop-ups (using libnotify).  I don't recall though if I had to do anything
> > more than click a check box in Evolution's preferences.
> >
> > You might consider having your MUA do the notifying rather than having an
> > applet go check your inbox for you.
> I'm mostly using thunderbird for e-mail, and it actually also supports
> notification via pop-ups. But:
>
>  1. I think it's nice to be able to close the application completely
>     when not working on e-mail.

I hear you! ;)

>  2. "Global" popups are generally annoying/too obtrusive. A small icon
>     that changes state is much better.

Understandable.

http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
I'm guessing this is what you've used in the past.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/mail-notification
Even though the package is listed it appears nobody has packaged it in EPEL
(for example).
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/repoview/letter_m.group.html

Not as simple, but you might consider building it on your system.

> - Toralf
>

> >> It isn't so common to receive email locally anymore, most people are
> using
> >> remote mail servers.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
> >> NetSecSpec Ltd
> >> +44 (0) 7983 877438
> >> http://www.coochey.net
> >> http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
> >> giles at coochey.net

> This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain
> proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the
> intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
> please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any
> attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
> use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in
> any way except as permitted by the author.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //