[CentOS] Anything Like Solaris' Live Upgrade?

xrx xrx-centos at xrx.me
Mon Jan 28 19:27:57 UTC 2013

On 01/28/13 22:54, Tim Evans wrote:
> On 01/28/2013 01:20 PM, xrx wrote:

Right, but if the end result is being able to recover from a bad
upgrade; they both do the job. In fact, I'd argue that what you
described sounds a lot worse (in being complicated, & always requiring a
reboot) than what CentOS 6 does for the same use case. If you're going
to have downtime in the time required to reboot solaris, try out the
upgrade, and reboot again if the upgrade was borked; then not touching
the running environment isn't a huge advantage since you'd need to
arrange a lot of downtime anyway. With CentOS, instead of the downtime
being on a reboot; it will (or rather may) be during/after the update
(yum does not take very long). If the update goes bad; then you can go
back to the untouched environment with a merge & reboot. So the CentOS
method could be a lot faster & easier overall.

Is there any particular reason you prefer LU over snapshots if both can
give you the non-updated environment, if required, at the end?

-xrx