[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jan 28 20:17:45 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 01:26 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 27/1/2013 5:11 μμ, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>> Taking gtk2 as in our example here, if you wanted a new gtk2 in
>> CentOS-5.9, then you would have to rebuild the following packages:
> A quick (?) question:
>
> What is the best way to view dependencies?
>
> 1. We can use yum deplist <xxx.rpm> to view dependencies of a particular
> installed package, but we would like to limit output to only *already
> installed* packages and not view all suitable ones. Also, we would like
> to view dependencies as a full rpm name and not as they are output by
> default (e.g. not "glibc.x86_64 2.12-1.80.el6_3.6" but
> "glibc-2.12-1.80.el6_3.6.x86_64")
>
> 2. Is there a way to find out the opposite, i.e. which *installed*
> packages are dependent on a particular installed package? In your
> example above (about gtk2), how could we have produced the list of
> dependent-on-it packages which you have kindly provided?

With respect to build and SRPMS, I do this:

I go to a place where all the distro's SRPMS (we have that place on
vault), then I do this command:

rpm -qp --requires <name>.src.rpm

That will tell me everything that is required to build that individual SRPM.

However, you would also need to take every requirement and do the same
thing to it ... in other words, find the requirements of each requirement.

There is no easy way to do this (that I know of) ... if I want to know,
I do the work.

Also, if you want to develop an initial list of SRPMS that are impacted
when changing something, you would do this inside the "LATEST" SRPMS
(again, using gtk2 as the example):

for srpm in $(ls *.src.rpm); do requires_gtk2=$(rpm -qp --requires $srpm
| grep "gtk2-devel"); if [ "$requires_gtk2" != "" ]; then echo $srpm;
fi; done

(the above is one line if wrapped)

Once you develop the list of SRPMS, you would need to develop  another
list of requirements for each requirement.

There is a yum-utility called yum-builddep that will install all the
dependencies to build a package for you ... you can do that into a
minimal installed VM as well.