[CentOS] Alias for sending email messages from root

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Jan 29 22:03:15 UTC 2013

I have run into what can only be described as a farce but one that is
outside my control and which I need fixed.

I am informed that my cell phone service provider, Bell Canada, will
not allow any email messages from a user id 'root' to pass through
their email to sms text gateway.  Now, I send alerts out from cron and
other system monitoring software and these all go out as
root at host.domain.tld.

Is there any way to configure the outgoing address to be something
else?  Or do I have to rename the root user to get around this
nonsensical, and utterly useless, restriction imposed by my provider?

Canada  L8E 3C3