[CentOS] "Can't install ... as no transaction" from PackageKit (CentOS 6)

Toralf Lund

toralf.lund at pgs.com
Wed Jan 30 13:48:00 UTC 2013

Hello again,

Does anyone have any idea what the following message in the package
installer - gpk-install-local-file - is supposed to mean?

Can't install /tmp/mail-notification-4.0-3.el5.x86_64.rpm as no transaction

(Under "More details" in the "Local install failed" popup.)

This is something I got while trying to set up a "mail notification"
icon - refer to my other recent post. I happen to know what (part of)
the problem is - the package has dependencies that can't be resolved,
but why doesn't the message just say so? And what's the meaning of a
"transaction" anyway? Mind you, I believe I understand the word
perfectly well, but in the above sentence it still makes no sense to me...

To reproduce this, you may try (on a CentOS 6) system:

 1. In a web browser, go to
    http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/mail-notification.html
    or
    http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/mail-notification.html
    depending on your architecture.
 2. Click on the rpm link.
 3. Select "Open with"->"Package Installer (default)".
 4. Answer "Install" when asked if you want to install the file (after
    it's downloaded.)
 5. Click "More details" when the error popup appears.

I suspect, though, that you may actually see a sensible "dependency"
message, i.e. that this is sometimes correctly displayed, sometimes not.

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.