[CentOS] ACL/permissions question

Boris Epstein

borepstein at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:44:14 UTC 2013

Hello listmates,

If I have a regular, ACL-capable filesystem on Linux (say, ext4 or xfs) is
there a way for me to establish the following:

1) There is a directory, say, /home/joe . It is owned by user joe . No one
but joe (and root, of course) can read or write anything in this directory.

2) No one can change permissions on that directory, not even joe. In other
words, in joe all of a sudden joe decided to open his directory up to the
world (or the group he is a member of) by doing something akin to:

chmod 777 /home/joe

he would not succeed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boris.