[CentOS] Fencing a Dell T110 II

Tue Jan 8 19:38:21 UTC 2013
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

I think I know the answer to this question based on all of the research
I've done, but figured I'd ask anyway.

I needed a couple of servers for an HA cluster, and our "order" guy here
ordered me a couple of Dell PowerEdge T110 II. I'd planned on using IPMI
to fence these things with, but later found out that this model is only
one of two PE servers Dell sells that has a stripped down BMC on it, and
allows only local access. It's my fault for not looking closer at the
specs, but I figured a PowerEdge server would have the stuff I needed.

So now I'm looking for a way to fence these without purchasing more
equipment. I thought maybe IF-MIB, but I can't discover enough about
that to determine whether that'll work for me.

I find it strange that using Conga (luci) from a third administration
server I can reboot these two Dell nodes, and wonder why that works, how
it's done, and why that wouldn't work as a fence method.

Any one dealt with this particular Dell PE and fencing in any form other
than using something like an APC fence?

Thanks for any suggests. I've pretty much wore Google out, and I'm now
in that round-robin mode of results where everything leads back to the
same pages on different servers.

steve campbell