[CentOS] creating centos rpm from deb with alien

Wed Jan 2 04:12:59 UTC 2013
Juan R. de Silva <juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com>

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 22:26:50 -0500, Jason Pyeron wrote:

> [...]

I certainly googled first.  And yes, I did find many Fedora RPMs.

I'm coming from DEB environments and know little about RPMs. But even in
DEB environments you cannot, for example, safely install Ubuntu DEB on
Debian and vs.

I've read quite a bit of CentOS documentation too and found that it is
not advisable to install even RPMs created for different version of
CentOS
itself. So, I concluded that Fedora RPMs are not suitable. Am I mistaken
here?

>> What about creating rpm from deb using alien?  Would it be safe to
>> attempt such install?
>
> Then your question should be what is the best way to install RPM x which
> needs the following dependencies because the RPM is assuming Fedora
> version X.

I've not thought it this way yet. Again just because I know that I can
use alien to create rpm from deb. The process that is more or less
familiar to me, while I have no idea if there is a way to use Fedora RPMs
on CentOS.

Anyway, your notes were somewhat informational, and I thank you.  I will
google the subject in the suggested direction and come (hopefully) with a
better question.