[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 as Firewall/Router

Fri Jan 4 19:27:42 UTC 2013

Tim Evans wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 12:01 PM, Tim Evans wrote:
>> I'm replacing an ancient Solaris 'ipf' firewall/router with a brand new
>> CentOS 6.3 system.  In the olden days, I successfully used the attached
>> iptables script (as /etc/rc.local) on Red Hat 5.x systems, but this
>> doesn't seem to be quite working on the new system.
>>
>> Specifically, while it seems to be routing ok, you cannot connect to
>> anything on the inside net (e.g., with ssh or a browser) and cannot
>> connect to the system with ssh or anything else from elsewhere on the
>> inside net. Yet arp shows this system active.
>>
>> Is there obsolete stuff here, and/or anything missing that would cause
>> this?
>
> Nevermind...  Temporary IP address in the script was wrong; corrected
> and now working.  Will be glad to see comments, though.

Glad you found that. As a followup, though, when I was running a RH system
as a firewall router, I ran Bastille Linux on it first, and to the best of
my knowledge, never had an intrusion on my home network in about 10 years.

But then, I *also* had almost *nothing* on it: no xorg, no compilers....

        mark