[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 as Firewall/Router

Tue Jan 8 12:41:21 UTC 2013
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

On 05/01/2013 15:25, Ryan Wagoner wrote:

> Or don't use CentOS at all and try OpenBSD & PF.  The syntax is much
> cleaner and easier to maintain than Netfilter/IPTables and it works pretty
> darn well.  ;)
>
> If you want to stick with linux look at Vyatta. I have 5 production
> installs (3 physical and 3 VMs) and upgrades have been flawless. The config
> resides in one file and the console has a Juniper style syntax.

On a similar vein, I use pfsense as a Firewall (FreeBSD derivative)

Has many features and Web GUI configuration. Seems to really do the
trick for me.

I tend to only use the iptables firewall in Centos for host based
firewalling (basically I only edit the INPUT table), for multi-homed
dedicated firewalls (i.e. using the FORWARD'ing table) something like
pfsense really does it nicely.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS