[CentOS] Fencing a Dell T110 II

Thu Jan 10 14:38:20 UTC 2013
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

Sorry for not having the replies, but I'd already turned on Digest mode
for the list.

To Joseph and John:

Concerning the odd choice for a server. I don't usually pick the servers
here since we sort of have a guy that does all of the ordering for us.
He typically does a good job. I do scan the requirements for the machine
before it's ordered. The problem here is that because this was a Dell
"PowerEdge" I didn't bother looking to see what all was provided in the
BMC stuff, so I can't blame anyone but myself. In this instance,
"PowerEdge" is a real misleading label. And as I said, only two PEs of
all their servers don't have the DRAC stuff on them.

To Patrick:

I had tried setting up BMC for using IPMI. Using ipmitools, I could only
get stats on the local machine. I couldn't get remote stats.

The setup for the BMC, using Ctrl-E during boot, always stated that
there was "No Active Lan" availailbe for BMC, and I couldn't figure out
where that was turned on.
I could set the address, indicate that the NIC was to be shared, all
parameters were specified except being able to turn on a NIC for BMC.
There's only one on-board NIC, so I wasn't picking the wrong one. After
further reading about this particular model of PE, I began thinking that
it just wasn't available remotely and only served to warn of failures by
email.

If you can provide more on how you set this up, I'd like to compare my
way against yours please, Patrick.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

steve