[CentOS] gigantic memory leak in Clock Applet...

Thu Jan 10 18:03:09 UTC 2013
Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com>

On 2013-01-10 15:10, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Paul Bijnens
> <Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com>  wrote:
>>
>> That would then verify the claim that the leak is not real (the above shows the contrary,
>> I think), and gnome programs interact with each other in much more deeper ways than
>> you would expect.
>
> I sort-of remember once having evolution hooked to an exchange server
> and the clock applet seemed to be aware of all of my exchange calendar
> events but it was really too buggy to use back then.   Do you have any
> calendar settings that any gnome program knows about?

I did not have items in some calendar. I do not run Evolution, it is not even
installed anymore. Maybe I had it installed at some time, but just "yum erase"-d
it at some point. I've never even started it once on this workstation.

I hate calendars (with deadlines and due dates just wooshing by).

I do have the Lightning plugin in Thunderbird, just to be able to read
nice formatted invites to meetings etc. And that thing marks items in my calendar.

And I do remember having difficulties to install a working version of
Lightning due to 32/64 bit problems at that time.

I think had to install a 32 bit version of TB on my 64bit workstation to be able
to use it then.
But when TB 10 replaced the TB 2 (or was that TB 3?), I just trow out all of it,
and installed the standard CentOS TB 10. Even the Lightning plugin works now too.

Maybe that was around the time when I noticed my memory problem with the clock-applet
disappeared?  I not sure anymore.

I just mention this because I noticed that Fred also was experimenting with
Firefox 18.  And until a real cause of the problem is found, everything is suspect.

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                            Tel  +32 16 397.525
Interleuvenlaan 86, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM          Fax  +32 16 397.552