[CentOS] 5.9: wait, or CR?

Fri Jan 11 15:09:28 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/11/2013 08:49 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 02:43 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Hey, folks,
>>
>>     I just saw Johnny mention 5.9 yesterday, and this morning, my manager
>> tells me he got about 100 emails from somewhere about 5.9 and a CR
>> repo. So, my questions to the team is: is there a CR repo, and is there
>> some urgency to enabling it, or shall we just wait for the release?
> First hit on google for 'centos cr', read that, make sure you understand it.
>
> - KB

Or ... I can link it for you :)

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR

Since this is fairly new, here goes ...

Basically, we have done the basic QA on these packages.  They install,
there is repo closure, they pass our test suite.  They are the same
packages that will be in the CentOS-5.9 release, unless we find errors
and fix them.

If we do find errors and release new packages, then those packages will
upgrade the applicable one that you got from CR.

There are 3 things not included ... CentOS-release,
CentOS-release-notes, and anaconda.  These 3 things and the new install
images will be what is added to the full 5.9 release.  We would expect
that release to be done within a week from now.

Whether you install now or wait is up to you.

If you look here, you can see that some of the packages are security
updates, but most are Bug fixes or Enhancements:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2013-January/thread.html

Its on all my CentOS-5 installs.