[CentOS] Off-Topic: Low Power Hardware

Fri Jan 11 18:53:24 UTC 2013
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013, SilverTip257 wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm slightly off-topic here, but it is somewhat CentOS related!
>
>I'm in search of some hardware that consumes a low amount of power for use
>as a test-bed for Linux, various coding projects, and LAN services.
>
>1) Low power consumption (10-15W ... maybe 30W at most)
>2) Must run Linux without too much fuss (CentOS or otherwise)
>3) Must have two NICs (fast ethernet or better)
>4) Memory - 1GB or better
>5) Can be configurable either via serial or VGA.
>6) Accepts a normal hard drive, not CF -- drive capacity is my concern.
>7) spare PCI slot is a _plus_ (extra NICs or whatever else)
>8) I'd like to keep the physical footprint to a minimum (size of a 1U
>switch or so?)

I don't know about the power details, but we have used a fair
number of small desktop boxes (mini-ATX I think) with Atom
processors which are small, quiet, and low power.

Typically they need a low-profile NIC.

We have run various versions of CentOS back through 4 without
problems.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police,
the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the
government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.
EDWARD ABBEY (1927-1989)