[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

Sat Jan 12 02:36:10 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:

> If I delete files and entire directories on that (source) machine, will
> rsync then subsequently automatically delete them on the destination

Not automatically without the --delete flag as others have mentioned.
You delete on the source and with --delete the old files are removed by
rsync when it runs again.

Set up a small test (even just on your local machine between two
directories) and give it a test.  And --dry-run is your best friend when
testing!

> (backup) system?  Or would I need also to run an rsync command to delete
> the same on the destination system?  And, if yes, what rsync command
> would do that?

You mentioned about it running with other people changing files ... it
works ok for me.  I have gigabytes of backups that get rsynced in the early
to late morning ... not always are backups completely finished when rsync
scans the files.  So it picks up on it when the cronjob runs the sync a few
hours later.

If you're going to place one box off-site, sync it up before placing it
off-site ... it takes some real time to sync up a few terabytes of
backups/archives. :)

*** You may have to run rsync as root with sudo to preserve all
permissions/ownership. ***
At work we have it locked down in sudoers to do so.  It was a setup that
predated my employment there, so I don't know if running it as root was
necessary.  Using SSH keys for auth.
>> Call me out on rsync as root if it isn't necessary to preserve all
permissions.  I think I was told ownership got whacked if it wasn't ran
that way.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> We use rsync here. Actually, we've got a home-rolled system. We created
> timestamped backups, which also removes them after a configuration file
> item of how many days or weeks. Note that we *heavily* use rsync's parm to
> use hard links, which saves a lot of space.

At work I've got a similar set up to Mark's - time stamped from network
storage to a backup box.  I have scripts on the on-site backup server that
purge the old time stamped directories and various other items.  And then
an off-site server that rsync's everything to a LUKS encrypted volume.

--
Mike