[CentOS] Off-Topic: Low Power Hardware

Mon Jan 14 16:57:18 UTC 2013
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 01/11/2013 09:55 AM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> *** I'm curious if there's certain hardware that you folks are using and
> fit all/most of my criteria. ***
> It would be cool if they made a Raspberry Pi with dual onboard NICs, but it
> still doesn't cut it since it takes SD cards and not a hard drive.

For what it's worth, we're using a box from Aleutia that is quite good.
We got an older unit, but the
http://aleutia.com/x1-small-low-power-server
is close to what we bought.  Works great.

This is fully integrated, but could be built up from the right parts if
you wanted to do so.  Not exactly cheap, but we've been pleased.

As to non-Intel boxen, something like a GuruPlu ServerPlus would be up
you alley, with an eSATA port, dual GigE, and dual USB2.  Less expensive
than the Aleutia dual core Atom.  But ARM, not Intel, and so something
like Redsleeve would be needed.  No VGA, either, totally configured
either via JTAG/UART or through the network.  The GuruPlug comes with a
Debian derivative.  Boot is either on internal flash or via microSD
card, but the eSATA port gives you expansion.