[CentOS] Off-Topic: Low Power Hardware

Mon Jan 14 17:47:01 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm in search of some hardware that consumes a low amount of power for
> use
> > as a test-bed for Linux, various coding projects, and LAN services.
> >
> > 1) Low power consumption (10-15W ... maybe 30W at most)
> > 2) Must run Linux without too much fuss (CentOS or otherwise)
> > 3) Must have two NICs (fast ethernet or better)
> > 4) Memory - 1GB or better
> > 5) Can be configurable either via serial or VGA.
> > 6) Accepts a normal hard drive, not CF -- drive capacity is my concern.
> > 7) spare PCI slot is a _plus_ (extra NICs or whatever else)
> > 8) I'd like to keep the physical footprint to a minimum (size of a 1U
> > switch or so?)
>
> The lowest-power x86 device I've used is an Alix 2d2 from PCEngines.
> Power consumption was about five watts, regardless of load.  This has
> three 100 mbps NICs, a 32-bit x86 AMD Geode CPU, and 256 MB RAM
> soldered to the board.  Has a built-in Compact Flash slot to use as a
> "hard drive".  I ran OpenBSD on mine for years as a
> firewall/gateway/router for a home LAN (don't see why it wouldn't run
> CentOS).  (I'm actually selling mine, email off list if interested.)

The Geode CPUs do not support PAE [0].  While CentOS 5.x would work, 6.x
requires a kernel recompile (not complaining, but noting).

[0] http://joseph.freivald.com/linux/2010/04/22/alix-centos-image/

> [...]
> of the time though).  Note that even when "idle", MythTV seems to use
> a little CPU, so if I kill mythfrontend, my idle power consumption
> drops another watt or two.
>
> Only one NIC on the Asrock board, but it has a PCIe expansion slot so
> you could easily add another.  I'd expect an add-on NIC to add around
> one to five watts of power consumption.
>
> My personal workstation uses an Intel DH67GD micro-ATX motherboard,
> i5-2500k CPU, 4x4GB RAM, SSD, and traditional ATX power supply
> (Seasonic SS-300ET).  It pulls about 30 watts when idle.  Only one NIC
> on that motherboard.
>
> For all the above, I'm talking AC (i.e. at the wall) power
> consumption, in the USA (so 115 Volts), measured with a Kill-A-Watt
> (not high-precision, but should be reasonable within a watt or two).
> What follows is stuff with which I have no personal experience, but
> have read about:
>
> The Intel S1200KP mini-itx motherboard.  It has built-in dual gigabit
> NICs, socket 1155, so you can use anything from a Celeron up to a
> Xeon, depending on how much you want to spend and what your
> upper-bound computational needs are.  I was considering that for my
> firewall/router replacement.  With a PicoPSU I would suspect that one
> could get 20 watts or lower idle power consumption.
>
> With an Intel DQ77KB motherboard, and Pentium G2120, SilentPCReview
> built a system that pulls 16.5 Watts[1].  (The article is a case
> review, but power consumption information is included.)  That DQ77KB
> board also has dual gigabit NICs.
>
> You might also be interested in Intel's "NUC - Next Unit of
> Computing"[2].  About 10 watts power consumption for dramatically
> under-clocked i3 CPU.
>
> In general, with modern Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs, it's almost trivial to
> build a high-performing system that has 30 watt or less idle power
> consumption.  If you cherry-pick components, it's not terribly hard to
> get a system with 20 watt idle power draw.  The modern Intel CPUs all
> have roughly the same idle power usage (at least the consumer line,
> not sure about Xeons).  That goes for the more expensive low-power
> variants as well.  The difference of the low-power variants is their
> upper-bound power consumption is lower than their peers.  But you can
> often fake that by deliberately limiting the max frequency in the
> BIOS.  Of course, with these "real" CPUs (compared to e.g. Atom),
> power consumption will be much higher when loaded.  But from what I've
> read, the "real" CPUs are actually better in the long run, because
> their computation efficiency is so much higher.  With something like
> Atom, you get more deterministic power draw, but a severely
> compromised upper-bound on computational power.  In your requirements,
> you mentioned "various coding projects".  If you are working in a
> compiled language (e.g. C, C++, Java), for substantially large
> projects, your compile times will be painful on Atom, but pleasantly

I'll have to keep the 'real' cpu point in mind because after all this box
will be idle much of the time.