[CentOS] Back to: evaluating backup systems: rsync

Mon Jan 21 08:17:33 UTC 2013
M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net>

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 20:29:02 PM +0100, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> I don't recall whether the OP expressed whether that was the case or
> not, though I think he mentioned wanting to backup family pictures,
> so it might very well be to a usb HD.

I am the OP. I explicitly made the example of one big album of family
pictures because it was my own most recent experience of the problem I
wanted to discuss. I backup more or less regularly those pictures and
other stuff to both local drives (external USB) AND to remote
computers through the Internet. Since I had seen the SAME behavior in
both cases, I unconsciously assumed that it was not relevant, and
didn't provide details.

> being wrong is ok, but you should really work on that attitude of
> yours.

Indeed. Thanks Nicolas for pointing that out.

Reindl, you are very competent. There is no doubt about that. My
current rsync scripts work better than their previous version also
thanks to explanations from YOU (and others) in older threads on this
or other mailing lists, and I thank you sincerely for that.

But the regular tone of your answers makes me wonder if those many
GBytes you backup daily... you have to carry them on your back, one
bit at a time.

I am not a novice, and I am not afraid to do my homework, quite the
contrary actually. Besides, while not being Torvalds by orders of
magnitude, I do enough work about Linux and FOSS in public that it
would really be against my own professional interest not to do it on
public lists.

In this occasion I did not "test locally" simply because, believe it
or not, the feedback and tone of the thread up to that moment made me
think that it would have been more interesting and productive for THE
LIST to brainstorm togeteher on these less known parts of rsync.
Which, if I look at ALL the replies I got (including yours) minus YOUR
outburst, is more or less what actually happened.

So yes, Reindl, please do chill out, we need you. To the list: I owned
the whole list a reply because I am the one who triggered this flame,
but please let's NO MORE argue about it, only about rsync quirks.

Ciao,
Marco