[CentOS] How to configure display on CentOS 6?

Wed Jan 23 14:29:46 UTC 2013
Toralf Lund <Toralf.Lund at pgs.com>

> Ned Slider wrote:
>> On 22/01/13 14:32, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>> How exactly are you supposed to configure the display (i.e. set up X11)
>>> on a CentOS 6 system? I mean, in the past, there was
>>> system-config-display, but that's not supported any more. There is
>>> gnome-display-properties/System->Preferences->Display, but that seems to
>>> rely completely on auto-detection of the graphics card and monitors.
>>> What if this fails? Surely there should be a way to specify everything
>>> by hand?
>>>
>> Yes, Xorg will still use /etc/X11/xorg.conf if present so you can craft
>> a config file by hand.
>>
>*sigh*
> still miss Xfree86 and the xconfigurator, that was *NOT*
>desktop-dependant, and let you configure graphically and tune it.
Exactly. The tool mentioned above was actually post XFree86, though...

Anyhow, I guess I suspected that the program was removed completely with no real replacement. Bad decision, if you ask me, but I suppose Red Hat is to blame, and not the CentOS people. It's nice to know that you can still use the config file, but creating it from scratch is not always that easy. Perhaps especially if you have to do something like setting up a monitor the system somehow fails to detect automatically, but that may be listed in the config utilities, if you know what I'm saying...

It seems like the  system-config-display still can be built and used on the latest versions, though. I actually found a binary version via a little search. It actually turned out that I didn't need it to get my display up and running, as the problem was actually a missing driver package, but I still think it's nice to have.

- Toralf

>      mark

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.