[CentOS] clock sync/drift

Wed Jan 23 16:23:30 UTC 2013

Craig White wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2013, at 8:16 PM, Matt Garman wrote:
>>
>> We have a little over 100 servers, almost all running CentOS 5.7.
>> Virtually all are Dell servers, generally a mix of 1950s, R610s, and
>> R410s.

Hmmm... May I *STRONGLY* urge you to replace the 1950's ASAP. We've
surplussed all of ours. We started to lose them to hardware issues: I
think it was the RAID controller dying. We were really amazed at the
quality control... - in a short time (literally weeks) we had several
(three? four? five?) die with this error. I'd say you're on borrowed time.
<snip>
> You don't actually show us your ntp.conf but generally, I would recommend
> that you make this the very first line of ntp.conf:
> tinker panic 0

Absolutely. This is something I've read, and done; it lets it update
(tinker with the time) when they go that much out.

       mark