[CentOS] crontab and gedit

Wed Jan 23 18:39:38 UTC 2013

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 06:23 AM, Adekoya Adekunle wrote:
>>
>> How can I open crontab with gedit any any other editor ?
>>
>> i want to edit my cron jobs with other editors beside vi.
>
>  From a terminal window:
>
> su
> gedit /etc/crontab &
>
> I do it all the time.  I suppose there is a one line variant with sudo,
> but I tend to have a root terminal open for lots of different things.

Bad idea. Very much depreciated. You should edit crontab using -e [1], and
sudoers with visudo.

1] to use a different editor, from the man pages:
ENVIRONMENT

       VISUAL          Invoked by visudo as the editor to use

       EDITOR          Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set

Using the correct tool invokes syntax checking *before* it's saved. If you
don't have root password, you could seriously be up the creek if you make
a typo in sudoers....

        mark