[CentOS] crontab and gedit

Thu Jan 24 15:09:17 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 03:53 PM, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

>>> Bad idea. Very much depreciated. You should edit crontab using -e [1], and
>>> sudoers with visudo.
>>>
>>> 1] to use a different editor, from the man pages:
>>> ENVIRONMENT
>>>
>>>          VISUAL          Invoked by visudo as the editor to use
>>>
>>>          EDITOR          Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set
>>>
>>> Using the correct tool invokes syntax checking *before* it's saved. If you
>>> don't have root password, you could seriously be up the creek if you make
>>> a typo in sudoers....
>> Serious typos abound.  The most serious one I did was to fstab once upon
>> a time.
>>
>> I don't use sudo.  If I need root changes, I better have the root
>> password to use su.  If I don't have the root password, then it is
>> either not my system to change, or I have a serious problem indeed.
>>
> That's fine unless you have 100s of machines to administer. If you
> have 100 machines do you a) set all the root passwords to the same, or
> b) maintain a manual file of logins.

I am fortunate this way; this is not my day job.  But I do not have an
IT group to manage most of my systems I use to support my day job, so I
am it.  Thus I lean on those of you that have this as a day job to
figure out what I have not yet figured out.  I do try and help with what
I know, but most of it is theory on things which are still a few years
out.  What many of you are working with in security services, I was
working on developing back when they were developed.  Like digital certs
and PKI infrastructure as an example.  Today my efforts are in what is
called 'the Internet Of Things' and 'Home Area Networks' and 'Medical
Body Area Networks'. Mostly those little tiny things that most are not
bothering to secure.

Thanks for all the help you people provide me.  Hopefully I will be
helping to create technologies that will continue to provide you all
with livelyhoods  :)

Oh, years ago I wrote about the importance of writing down important ids
and passwords and putting them in a firebox with someone important
knowing where it is.  There are lots of disaster stories out their,
small and large, where the people that knew these were lost and data was
or almost lost as well.  And I was talking to Tatu Ylonen, the creator
of SSH (when he was a student in Helsinki), back in November on the
disaster of SSH accounts at many large companies.  He has found banks
with thousands of SSH accounts that no one knows whose they are or how
to clean them up.  He is working on a set of tools to help out on this.