[CentOS] crontab and gedit

Thu Jan 24 20:15:21 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-01-24, m.roth at 5-cent.us <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> What, you're forgetting, was it LA or SF, that just had that happen very
> publicly, when that admin left and didn't want to tell the admins the
> passwords, a couple of years ago?

It was San Francisco.  Here are some stories on it; I'm sure DDG can
find others:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/148824/san_francisco_network.html
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-officials-locked-out-of-computer-network-3205200.php

> No. A manager should *always* have the written passwords, somewhere, if
> you quit, or get hit by a car coming back from lunch....

Agreed, but you need to a) impress on your manager that he should not
break into the passwords unless you really have quit or been hit by a
bus, and b) trust your manager not to do a).  If you don't really trust
him not to do something stupid with the password list, hide it somewhere
else and tell a trusted colleague where it is.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us