[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Thu Jan 24 22:26:18 UTC 2013
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 24.01.2013 20:27, James Freer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Leon Fauster
> <leonfauster at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Am 22.01.2013 um 23:03 schrieb James Freer
>> <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>:

>>> puias... sorry i overlooked that. Clear enough now. I'll use the
>>> epel
>>> and rpmforge repos and see how i get on.
>

> Hi folks
>
>> i do not recommend to use this two repos simultaniuous (or use
>> priorities!).
>> LF
>
> hmmm - well what is one supposed to do? I've got EPEL installed fine
> but that doesn't have abiword, pyrenamer and some of the the other...
> fairly standard apps. I turned to Centos after Fedora has proved to be
> a bit dodgy. Centos along with debian are supposed to be the TWO main
> community distros. If rpmforge shouldn't be installed (as you've
> advised) it seems i need to look at another distro. The advice is to
> stay with a distro's developer packages and only use other repo if one
> really has to. I can only assume that Centos really is for Server use
> rather than desktop... i was just hoping to use it as a desktop before
> moving onto the server route.

If you'd like to try, I do maintain a desktop related repository meant
to not conflict with @Base or EPEL (or Elrepo):
rpm -ivh
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el6/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-2.el6.nux.noarch.rpm

There are a lot of packages there, for those that are not you can drop
me an email or ask on
https://forums.nux.ro/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=10&

If you'd like to get even more adventurous I even have a desktop Centos
remix built around EPEL, ElRepo and my own repos:
http://li.nux.ro/stella/

</shameless plug>

Nux!
www.nux.ro