[CentOS] firefox 18

Fri Jan 25 22:59:44 UTC 2013
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:58:45PM -0500, fred smith wrote:

> > > It is if you follow Mozilla's build instructions, which are to build with
> > > "mach". I think that doing what you did will bypass mach. I tried it and
> > > got an error further into the build regarding some missing python stuff
> > > (but I haven't installed a newer python yet, so that's not unexpected.)
> > >
> > > Is it also necessary to install the newer GCC that you used? I haven't yet
> > > noticed that listed in the build requirements...
> >
> > I initially tried it with the stock CentOS 5 gcc (v4.1.2 based) - but it
> > failed - however, I noticed from about:buildconfig from a mozilla.org
> > v18 install that they used a v4.5 based gcc, so I tried the nearest
> > version available on CentOS 5 - which is from the gcc44 RPM - and that
> > worked
>
> ah. thanks for the tip.

OK, I've got all that installed. now when I run configure I get:

	checking For gcc visibility bug with class-level attributes (GCC bug 26905)... no
	checking For x86_64 gcc visibility bug with builtins (GCC bug 20297)... no
	checking for gcc PR49911... no
	checking for gcc pr39608... yes
	This compiler would fail to build firefox, plase upgrade.

Not sure I know how to make it use 4.4 instead of the older ones.
(of course, it doesn't tell me which compiler it's trying to configure
for, so maybe it is 4.4, I can't tell.)

In an effort to fix that I've done a series of exports:

	# env | grep 44
	gcc=gcc44
	CC=gcc44
	cc=gcc44
	GXX=g++44

but it isn't helping. Can you divulge the correct incantation, please?

Gracias!