[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Sat Jan 26 16:22:24 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:

> There is no such thing as a 100% reliable system if you don't do things
> right. You can easily screw (in terms of security and reliability) your
> Vanilla RHEL/CentOS with one wrong setting, even using your safe repos.

Breaking it yourself is a different issue than installing conflicting
things from uncoordinated repositories though.  The underlying problem
is that using newer packages often requires replacing core libraries.
Any single 3rd party repo doing this will probably test things
together, but if you combine 2 or more of these you are mixing
untested code, likely to have had different compile options, etc.
This seems especially bad in the RH/CentOS world because the core
repos and epel have very restrictive policies on what can be there and
the 3rd party repos are intentionally uncoordinated.    I think the
debian/Ubuntu world has many more packages in at least loosely
coordinated repos.  You can still run into problems but you are less
likely to be the first person to every mix a particular set of
packages in an install.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com