[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Mon Jan 28 00:50:35 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/27/2013 06:20 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 01/28/2013 04:43 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> On 01/27/2013 08:18 AM, Bry8 Star wrote:
>>> Hi Anthony, it would be really great, to see various types of
>>> repo-configs on centos wiki, now if few helpful&   experienced users
>>> can grab this idea and come forward and share their repo config (and
>>> their case/usage scenario along with that), then that would be great.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> (Sorry for spelling&   grammar mistakes in previous and in this
>>> posting, pls kindly disregard, its not a grammar discussion thread).
>>>
>>> -- Bry8Star.
>>>

>>> Received from Anthony K, on 2013-01-27 2:48 AM:

>> There is already a fine page on this subject on the wiki.
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
>>
> The point being made is that various people have the knowledge and
> experience
> to advise a startup setting for
> priority=
> for each repo
> I know that what I'm using has caused conflicts that have been quite
> time consuming
> to resolve - what works for others would be most helpful
> I do recognise that this will vary depending upon what tools are
> required but as a start:
> 1. developer workstation - what repos and what priority
> 2. LAMP server - probably just CentOS repos and something which deals
> with later php / perl / ruby
> 3. web / internet workstation - needs audio and video stuff working
> just my thoughts for starters.

That totally depends on what you need to install and what repo it is
in.  Since 3rd party repos are constantly adding new packages that they
did not have last week, it is impossible to say what would be the proper
priorities.

I already posted what I personally do, which is:

Install CentOS and set Base, updates, extras, and fasttrack to a Priority=1

I usually do not need to enable centosplus, but if I do, I set it to
Priority=2 and I put "excludes=<pkg_names>" in the Priority=1 repos for
the packages I want let CentOS plus replace in those repos.

I then normally add EPEL and set the Priority=10 for that.

Hopefully, that is all I need to add.

If I have to add any more repositories, first make sure my packages are
currently all updated by doing a yum upgrade.  Then I add the new repos
one at a time and I make them Priority=10 (the same as EPEL) ... and
after I add them , i do a "yum update".  If it tries to update, I look
at the packages and decide if I am going to allow the update or not ...
if I am ok to do the updates, then I do them and make sure it works.
Then I would install the packages I need from that repo.  Then I would
add the next new repo till I get to the end.

The best scenario is that all your 3rd party repos can co-exist at the
same Priority setting and that is where I start (at Priority=10) ... and
if something does not work, I troubleshoot it and take individual action.

Each individual machine is going to require a unique and separate group
of settings based on what you want to install ... which is why there is
no official recommendations.

I personally am using the following repos right now on my main Desktop,
which is CentOS-6.3:

adobe-linux-x86_64
|  951 B     00:00
base
| 3.7 kB     00:00
cr
| 3.0 kB     00:00
elrepo
| 1.9 kB     00:00
elrepo-extras
| 1.9 kB     00:00
extras
| 3.5 kB     00:00
fasttrack
| 3.5 kB     00:00
google-chrome
|  951 B     00:00
google-musicmanager
|  951 B     00:00
livna
| 1.3 kB     00:00
nux-dextop
| 2.7 kB     00:00
rpmforge
| 1.9 kB     00:00
updates
| 3.5 kB     00:00

All of the secondary repos are set to the same priorities and everything
seems to work.

Right now I have an "exclude=wxGtk*" for rpmforge for some reason. And
an "exclude=nx freenx*" for Nux! repo.