[CentOS] Mail notification in panel/system tray on CentOS 6

Mon Jan 28 07:48:28 UTC 2013
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 27/01/13 07:13, SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Giles Coochey<giles at coochey.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 25/01/2013 15:00, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to add a "new mail" notification icon to the
>>> panel/system tray under CentOS 6?
>>> On CentOS 5, I used the "mail-notification" software package provided by
>>> the Fedora "EPEL" distribution, but this is gone from the version 6
>>> repository, and the one from version 5 won't install just like that due
>>> to dependency issues. Maybe it's possible to resolve those, but I'm
>>> wondering if that's the way to go, or if there is a better alternative
>>> these days.
>>>

>> In the old days we used biff... then xbiff came along... new fangled
>> things!
>>
>> Something like: http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~**cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py<http://homepages.shu.ac.uk/~cmsps/freeScripts/xbiff.py>
>>
>> Don't some MUAs come with small panel applets for this?
>>

> @Toralf:
>
> I have Evolution Mail on my work desktop (not CentOS) set to display
> pop-ups (using libnotify).  I don't recall though if I had to do anything
> more than click a check box in Evolution's preferences.
>
> You might consider having your MUA do the notifying rather than having an
> applet go check your inbox for you.
I'm mostly using thunderbird for e-mail, and it actually also supports
notification via pop-ups. But:

 1. I think it's nice to be able to close the application completely
    when not working on e-mail.
 2. "Global" popups are generally annoying/too obtrusive. A small icon
    that changes state is much better.

- Toralf