[CentOS] Anything Like Solaris' Live Upgrade?

Tue Jan 29 20:29:10 UTC 2013
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

Am 29.01.2013 um 20:03 schrieb Tim Evans <tkevans at tkevans.com>:

> Thanks to everyone for their replies.  I suppose it's not possible in
> this forum to ask such a question and not get into religion. Kinda like
> the U.S. Congress.
>
> No one has yet shown how a byte-for-byte, fully redundant, bootable
> disk(set) can be created and kept up to date that will allow immediate
> recovery from a catastrophic failure of the primary disk(set) with
> nothing more than a reboot.
>
> FWIW, Solaris' problems are not technical.  Rather, they're Oracle's
> licensing and support policies that have essentially fired all its small
> system customers.

I have to say, in my experience the LU-process works (reasonably) well for systems without zones.
Once you have zones, it gets much, much more complicated.

It's a nice idea, though, and to me it makes sense (you don't want the system to be in a state where only half the patches are installed, however minuscule the effects of that may be).