[CentOS] More on amavis/clam permission errors on Centos 6.3

Thu Jan 31 11:17:37 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 02:30 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> On 1/30/2013 5:05 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> is it? so your rpms come from rpmforge? I thought you mentioned epel at
>>> some point. Hopefully you're not mixing them?
>> Sorry, I followed the HowTo, but got all the rpms from epel.
>>
>>> If you are, then that might be your problem.
>>> If you really followed the wiki instructions you must be using RF
>>> packages, so you could take it to the RF list.
>>> And if you're using epel, then you didn't follow the wiki instructions
>>> but nevertheless you should take it to the epel list...
>> epel list.  Hmm.  Now to find that.
>>
>> Thanks for the direction.
>>
> Read near the top of the amavis config file. It will reference the
> directories you are having trouble with. It tells you to create them and
> that they need to be owned by whatever you set the amavis user to be. It
> is all right there in the conf file.

Yes, I read that.

amavis from the epel repo defaults to /var/spool/amavisd which is owned
by amavis:amavis with permissions 700.

The rpm created the subdirs under this of quarantine, tmp, and db also
owned by amavis:amavis with permissions 700.  I had to create var myself
for spamassassin to use.

The permissions problem is under /var/spool/amavis/tmp if you look at
the maillog entry.  I have altered all permissions to 750 and still have
the problem; the directory created is with 700, and perhaps that is why
the problem?

I am thinking to change the clamd conf files to run with user amavis
instead of clam and see if that gets around the problem...

I have joined the epel-devel list (I did not find an epel-users list)
and posted this there yesterday.  I see that epel repo is the same
version currently available from rpmforge that the howto uses.
Interestingly, rpmforge uses userid clamav and epel uses userid clam.
Don't know what other differences there are.  So far no replies on the
epel list.