[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Thu Jan 31 13:58:02 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Bry8 Star <bry8star at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When using multiple repo, then how would i know, an
> app/lib from non-CentOS (that is, 3rd party repo) is going
> to conflict or not with CentOS core, base, essential
> app/lib packages ?

I don't think there is any way to know that.   And more to the point,
using any single 3rd party repo is likely to work at least until the
next update because the contents will have been tested against the
base distro - as long as the packages are intended for use with
RHEL/Centos.   The harder problem is that when you use multiple 3rd
party repos you can have packages with the same names and leapfrogging
version numbers but that are built or configured differently.   So you
install from one repo but it appears later with a higher version
number in a different one that you have enabled and is replaced by
something you don't expect.   This may cause dependency issues in the
yum update or sometimes just as bad, update without errors but fail to
work because of build or configuration differences.   I've always
thought it would be helpful if yum notified you whenever it was about
to overwrite an existing package with one from a different repo, but
even that might not be enough.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com