[CentOS] How to add usb driver to CentOS 6.4 LiveCD?

Sat Jul 27 19:57:58 UTC 2013
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
> On 07/27/2013 10:46 PM, James Freer wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Jiang Wen Dong
>> <wendong.jiang at td-tech.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have 3 USB disk, 2 of them can not boot, because kernel does not have
>>> driver included.
>>>
>>> But I can boot this 2 disk from CentOS 5.6 LiveCD.
>>>
>>> How to add usb driver to CentOS 6.4 LiveCD?
>>>
>>> I need a simple way.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> "because kernel does not have driver included"
>> Is this in fact the case? I have two machines less than three year old
>> which DO NOT boot off the usb drive for some odd reason.
>>
>> Like yourself I have gone over to usb flash drive for installing new
>> linux releases. The solution I have found is to install PLoP which can
>> be put on a CD or 3.5 floppy. I am just in the process having had two
>> CD/DVD 'die' recently to putting my last DVD drive in a remote drive
>> case and putting 3.5 floppy drives (off which I've got four) in each
>> machine for booting purposes.
>
> You've got to be kidding, 3.5 floppies?? I cannot remember the last time I
> even held one - must be 5+ years ago - and no machine I've built in the last
> 7 years even has a 3.5 drive installed.
> CD-ROM / DVD just work fine (ATA) SATA has on occasion been a bit hit and
> miss, although not in recent years. As you say - usb flash sticks are so
> much more convenient, although they used to be a challenge to format and get
> a boot-able system installed.

I've got them sitting there so i might as well use them... costs
nothing. USB and SD cards are not for permanent data storage. 3.5
floppy aren't brilliant but that's an option for booting on.

james