[CentOS] DL380g8 - smart array B320i - CentOS 6.4

Nathan Duehr denverpilot at me.com
Mon Jul 1 18:30:36 UTC 2013

On Jul 1, 2013, at 12:20 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 7/1/2013 10:57 AM, Nathan Duehr wrote:
>>> DRM'ed server hardware.  Pure evil.
>>
>> why is that evil?   why should you pay for features you're not using?
>
> You need to license, if I understand Nathan correctly, the drives you put
> in, when you decide to add more disks, and don't want to pay HP's prices?
>
> No. You've paid a lot of money for that server, and that should include
> everything in working order.
>
>       mark

For clarification, you need a license to run specific disk types.  Like SAS.

I don't remember if you need a license for the number of them installed. I don't think so.

The significant problem we ran into was someone at an upstream vendor orders HP stuff via individual part numbers in a specific configuration for us, so we get a server, some disks, whatever... and assemble them on-site.  They didn't know (bad vendor, no donut) about the change or spaced it... and didn't send licenses... so you're sitting there with disks in a new server, all ready to load the OS as usual... and the OS can't find any disks.

Then you dig and find there's a BIOS-level license not installed, which isn't intuitively obvious at first.

Then you call the boss and tell 'em to fork over some more money to HP... sorry you thought you got a deal boss, but the server prices actually went UP significantly going to the G8, not the other way around... (GRIN)...

Basically, just another HP annoyance to go along with their truly awful website and endless call-backs from survey companies to see if your last service case met your satisfaction... well, yeah, it did, but THIS SURVEY CALL doesn't... because I've tried to opt out of them a bejillion times... :) :) :)

Nate