[CentOS] What FileSystems for large stores and very very large stores?

Eliezer Croitoru

eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Fri Jul 5 13:45:00 UTC 2013

I was learning about the different FS exists.
I was working on systems that ReiserFS was the star but since there is
no longer support from the creator there are other consolidations to be
done.
I want to ask about couple FS options.
EXT4 which is amazing for one node but for more it's another story.
I have heard about GFS2 and GlusterFS and read the docs and official
materials from RH on them.
In the RH docs it states the EXT4 limit files per directory is 65k and I
had a directory which was pretty loaded with files and I am unsure
exactly what was the size but I am almost sure it was larger the 65k
files per directory.

I was considering using GlusterFS for a very large storage system with
NFS front.
I am still unsure EXT4 should or shouldn't be able to handle more then
16TB since the linux kernel ext4 docs at:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt in section 2.1
it states: * ability to use filesystems > 16TB (e2fsprogs support not
available yet).
so can I use it or not?? if there are no tools to handle this size then
I cannot trust it.

I want to create a storage with more then 16TB based on GlusterFS since
it allows me to use 2-3 rings FS which will allow me to put the storage
in a form of:
1 client -> HA NFS servers -> GlusterFS cluster.

it seems to more that GlusterFS is a better choice then Swift since RH
do provide support for it.

Every response will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eliezer