[CentOS] CentOS 6.4 login after reboot after apcupsd shutdown - shows POWER FAILURE

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Tue Jul 9 08:04:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:50:34PM +1200, Rob Kampen wrote:
> So then I go to log in and get "POWER FAILURE" followed by
> "Authentication failure" - this is on the console
>
> via SSH I just get "POWER FAILURE" and the ssh connection drops.

Sounds like /etc/nologin; contents of which are displayed immediately
before the login session terminates.  Configured within apcupsd.conf
with a configuration setting of NOLOGINDIR pointing to /etc by default;
I don't believe it can be disabled, however.

> So I guess the, log everyone out and stop further logins instruction
> is still lurking around somewhere.
>
> How do I regain control of my server??

Remove /etc/nologin.

> Does this mean I need to boot with a rescue disk and edit some file
> somewhere??

"ssh root at host rm -f /etc/nologin" will remove it.

> How do I prevent this re-occurring, after a perfect shutdown and
> restart, only to get stymied here.

apcupsd should be handling this automatically when mains power is
restored.  Perhaps check the package documentation / project bugtracker.

							John
--
Do not train [children] to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to
it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with

-- Plato (c 427 BC - 347 BC), Greek philosopher, student of Socrates, teacher
   of Aristotle, founder of the Academy of Athens, in The Republic,
   Book VII, section 16