[CentOS] postfix as default MTA

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Wed Jul 10 04:54:13 UTC 2013

--On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:50:23 PM -0400 Ron Loftin
<reloftin at twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> I can't speak directly to RedHat's reasoning, but I can say that I find
> Postfix MUCH easier to deal with than Sendmail.  After 20+ years in
> Unix/Linux system admin, I still find Sendmail arcane and confusing,
[...]
> Of course, what really matters is that you choose a solution that meets
> your specific needs.  From what I've read over the past several years,
> it really boils down to personal preference rather than any great
> difference in functionality.

Yeah, in my case of 20+ years in UNIX admin and development, I've become
comfortable with administering sendmail-based systems, and postfix is
the devil not known :)

Up to now I've been of the attitude of "sendmail's not broken, I've got
better
things to do than fix it".  However, I was reading on ADSP for DKIM
(RFC 5617) and in <http://www.opendkim.org/README> there is a discussion
of issues surrounding sendmail's handling of DSNs.  But then, it looks
like ADSP may be contraversial anyway.

Thus the stream of consciousness ...

Devin