[CentOS] SpamAssassin under CentOS-6.4

Larry larry at itsbg.net
Tue Jul 16 10:23:29 UTC 2013

On 07/13/2013 01:20 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I wonder if anyone is actually running SpamAssassin
> with Postfix/Amavisd-new under CentOS-6.4 .
> I have followed the instructions in
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd>
> but as far as I can see SpamAssassin is not working.
>
> I should say that I do not understand from this document
> what is meant to happen to spam.
> I understand that a Spam header is added,
> but what actually happens to email considered to be spam?
>
> When I run spamassin --lint I get the response
> ---------------------------------
> [tim at alfred ~]$ sudo spamassassin --lint
> Jul 12 21:59:15.538 [19228] warn: config: failed to parse, now a plugin,
> skipping, in "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf": ok_languages en it fr de ga
> ---------------------------------
> But this is exactly where the ok_languages line is meant to go,
> according to
> <http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ImproveAccuracy>.

Hi!
I have this setup working on my servers. Followed the above HowTo. Those
can be useful too ( [1] , [2] ).
If you have non marked spam messages, see what the headers are.

spamassassin should be off in chkconfig. Amavis starts its own plugin.
(When you check status it says spamd is stopped all the time)

Your domain should be listed in @local_domains_maps.

What happens to spam:

$sa_tag2_level_deflt -> Adds $sa_spam_subject_tag to subject and passes
the message (on client you can add a filter what to do with those messages)
$sa_kill_level_deflt -> triggers spam evasive actions
$final_spam_destiny -> says what to be the evasive action (I think :) )

It appeared amavis is chrooted in CentOS-6.4 by default so user_prefs
are in /var/spool/amavisd/var/.spamassassin/, if you need more
configurations (/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf can be used to).
amavisd.conf rewrites common values from both.

In [1] -> "SpamAssassin returns different score" part is interesting for
testing.

[1] http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-spam
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

HTH,