[CentOS] SSD support in C5 and C6

Lists lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Jul 19 01:17:35 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 07:33 AM, John Doe wrote:
> I do not think CentOS 5 supports TRIM (unless back-ported from
> 2.6.33)...
> http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_33#head-b9b8a40358aaef60a61fcf12e9055900709a1cfb

AFAIK, EL5 doesn't support trim. We've been using SSDs for DB servers
for almost 2 years and love 'em. Conservative performance estimates were
off-the-charts: PostgreSQL query results with a 95% reduction in query
latency, even after extended, continuous use. Haven't seen trim make
much difference in actual performance.

Main thing is DO NOT EVEN THINK OF USING CONSUMER GRADE SSDs. SSDs are a
bit like a salt shaker, they have only a certain number of shakes and
when it runs out of writes, well, the salt shaker is empty. Spend the
money and get a decent Enterprise SSD. We've been conservatively using
the (spendy) Intel drives with good results.