[CentOS] When no MTA is installed, How to send an email with a cronjob?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jul 21 12:56:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:31:32PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> If you decide a full blown MTA is too heavy weight in your environment
> on the different nodes (Postfix isn't the ideal choice for a so called
> null client), then have a look at ssmtp for example. It is provided by EPEL
>
> http://pkgs.org/centos-6-rhel-6/epel-x86_64/ssmtp-2.61-19.el6.x86_64.rpm.html

If I remember correctly, this does require an outside host--that is, you
have to use your ISP's mailserver as relay.

> There is another null client called msmtp
>
> http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

> but that one isn't available being packaged for CentOS.

That compiles very easily on CentOS, however.  Again, not sure if it can be
used without making use of your ISP's mail server.

I have an ancient page (slow site, not always up) on ssmtp, at
http://www.scottro.net/qnd/qnd-ssmtp.html. It hasn't been maintained for
awhile, there's a better page at the arch wiki.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSMTP

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6