[CentOS] What on Centos is wiping out my eth0 IP address every 5 minutes?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jul 24 14:07:29 UTC 2013

Rock wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:03:00 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
<snip>
> I think my "original" problem was what you guys sensed from
> the start.
>
> It was supremely frustrating having my manually typed eth0
> IP address being wiped out - but - apparently that was what
> Network Manager was supposed to do.
>
> Apparently Network Manager was set to pick up a DHCP address
> for eth0, and, when none were forthcoming, it wiped out the
> existing IP address.
>
> I only need to figure out now how to switch gracefully between
> using wlan0 connected to the home broadband router inside the
> house, and using eth0 wired to the Nanobridge M2 outside the
> house.
<snip>
Several thoughts:
  on the router, see if it will accept a fixed IP, rather than one
assigned by DHCP; if so, you can set it on the laptop. I'd also check to
see if you need to deal with NetworkManager to do that. I don't know - I
*loathe* NM, and am majorly annoyed that upstream decided to put a tool
appropriate for a laptop as the default for *everything*... says the guy
dealing with 150 or more servers and workstations that are hardwired.

       mark