[CentOS] Kernel 3.10 and CentOS 5

Stephen Harris

lists at spuddy.org
Mon Jul 29 20:20:35 UTC 2013

I have a Centos 5 machine which I've just compiled the 3.10.4 kernel
on (remembering to set CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) because I needed new
rtlwifi drivers for my rtl8192cu device.

So far, so good.  It seems to work.

Except /proc/bus/usb doesn't exist anymore.  USB_DEVICEFS has been
removed.  An older kernel (3.2.9) says

       Usbfs entries are files and not character devices; usbfs can't
       handle Access Control Lists (ACL) which are the default way to
       grant access to USB devices for untrusted users of a desktop
       system.

       The usbfs functionality is replaced by real device-nodes managed by
       udev.  These nodes lived in /dev/bus/usb and are used by libusb.

Has anyone got udev on C5 working with this new kernel so my USB
devices show?

(It's not causing me any real issues, other than "lsusb" nor working;
just curious!)

--

rgds
Stephen