[CentOS] How to know hardware RAID failure

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Mon Jul 29 20:53:34 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| Hi,
|
| We have on an old Dell 2850 with 4 SCSI drives, where we put a
| Hardware
| RAID5 on 3 disks and left 1 as spare.
| I dont remember exactly, but the RAID was setup in the BIOS, and when
| installing CentOS6, I just saw "1 drive".
|
| If it was software RAID, disk failure could be seen in /proc/mdastat,
| and I could simulate failure with mdadm.
|
| As far as it is hardware ATM, how, at least, to know the state of the
| RAID array? (syncing, healthy,...)
|
| Thank you.
|
| --
| RMA.

The IPMI controller if you have one, or the Dell diagnostic tools such as OSMA.  Megacli can report these things back to you.
--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw