[CentOS] Kernel 3.10 and CentOS 5

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Tue Jul 30 18:25:43 UTC 2013

On 07/29/2013 10:20 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> I have a Centos 5 machine which I've just compiled the 3.10.4 kernel
> on (remembering to set CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED) because I needed new
> rtlwifi drivers for my rtl8192cu device.
>
> So far, so good.  It seems to work.
>
> Except /proc/bus/usb doesn't exist anymore.  USB_DEVICEFS has been
> removed.  An older kernel (3.2.9) says
>
>         Usbfs entries are files and not character devices; usbfs can't
>         handle Access Control Lists (ACL) which are the default way to
>         grant access to USB devices for untrusted users of a desktop
>         system.
>
>         The usbfs functionality is replaced by real device-nodes managed by
>         udev.  These nodes lived in /dev/bus/usb and are used by libusb.
>
> Has anyone got udev on C5 working with this new kernel so my USB
> devices show?
>
> (It's not causing me any real issues, other than "lsusb" nor working;
> just curious!)

HAve you checked ElRepo third-party reposiroty?
They have ready-made and compatible 3.0.88 kernel, but they also have
kmod packaged drivers for stock kernels. Just go to
http://elrepo.org/tiki/DeviceIDs and check for vendor:device ID pairing
that lspci command will show for your rtl8192cu device.

Btw, RHEL/CentOS kernel is much more advanced then vanilla kernel of the
same numbering because Red Hat backports latest drivers  to their kernel.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)