[CentOS] Interesting admin info: ipmitool

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Jul 30 18:47:21 UTC 2013

I've used ipmitool any number of times, but never for more than getting
info, or setting the server name on a Dell LCD screen. However, I had a
server screaming about intruder alert, intruder alert, er, "Chassis
intrusion detected", and I thought there might be a way to shut it up
(this after pulling the server and reseating the lid). A quick google
found, on the first page, an 8 page document by Dell called "Managing Dell
PowerEdge Servers Using IPMItool". It's clear, comprehensible, has links
to the ipmitool project, and to the IPMI standard, which has documentation
on calls and parameters. It also has some examples... including "How to
turn off intrusion detected events".... Other than the device ID being
different on my Penguin than on a Dell PE, it was completely accurate...
and it worked.

A bit scary - I didn't want to turn off everything, or brick the server,
but it worked as advertised.

So, push that onto your stack for the time when you need it, folks.

      mark