[CentOS] What on Centos is wiping out my eth0 IP address every 5 minutes?

Rock Rocksockdoc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:14:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:36:36 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:

> note thats 5 miles in open space.
>
> you said the router is in the middle of the house, what all is between
> it and your 'BBQ' ?

The Negear N600 router is in the middle of the house, and it's only about
18 dBi and, I think, about 5 dBm for about 23 dB in toto.
(I haven't looked up the spec in a while though.)

The NanoBridge M2 is pointed *at* the house, and has to go through two
walls to get to the router, but, it has an 18 dBi antenna coupled
to a 23 dBm transmitter with a sensitivity in the -90 dBm range.

Assuming the numbers are close to correct (I do realize the manufacturers
lie about this stuff), that's 23 dB versus 41 dB, which is a whoppingly
huge difference of 18 dB.

Since every 3 dB is a doubling of the signal strength, that's
2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 64 times the signal strength of the Netgear
home broadband router (which is admittedly rather anemic).

That's a lot of signal, so, I'm *not* at all worried about going a
few hundred feet, and through a couple of walls.